Monday, October 1, 2012

Tutorial 4: Legendary Creatures

There are several types of legendaries. I am only showing legendary creatures here but there are legendary lands and artifacts as well. The Champions of Kamigawa block definitely wins the "how many legendaries does a block have?" contest. Before there were planeswalkers, there were legendary creatures. The rule for constructed (60 card deck and a 15 card sideboard) is that only one legendary creature by name can be in play and if a second one by the same name comes into play then both cards go to their respective owner's graveyard. This rule also applied to planeswalkers and I did not know about it. I have actually played online and made the mistake of playing my second copy of a planeswalker while I had the first copy out, or playing a planeswalker by the same name as that in play by my opponent. (I know... the silly moves of a beginner!!).

Here are two legendary creatures I pulled from Shadowmoor and Eventide packs.




Usually legendary creatures are rares in the era before planeswalkers (before Lorwyn) and rares and mythic rares from Lorwyn to date. The Commander playing format has brought the legendary creature much needed popularity. The Commander deck has 100 cards and no sideboard; it has one copy of each non-basic land, and therefore is a singleton format. You pick one legendary creature card as your commander. Commander used to be the Elder Dragon Highlander (EDH) format, named after a legendary creature by that name. I have played two Commander games online and they are a lot of fun. Because it is a so-called eternal format, meaning you can use any Magic card, the format is better suited for people who have lots of Magic cards from dozens of sets laying around. New players can buy reprint sets (with a few new cards) in Commander decks (there are five, $40 each online as of this writing, similar price for paper version) yet in my own ignorant view the advantage belongs to players who have many cards from older sets, just as is the case for the Constructed Modern format.

I am planning to build a few Commander decks with the small number of ISD, M13, and RTR legendary creatures at my disposal. The bulk of these cards will come from my ever-expanding hoard of commons.