Sunday, September 22, 2013

Summary of Theros Prerelease

1. I pulled one of the bombs.


2. The cards are beautiful.


3. I pulled my favorite land, not in my build.


4. I pulled one of the god weapons.


5. I played against red-green and got crushed. Despite all of the home work I did I have a long way to become even passable as a limited player. Limited has a completely different type of play, its like playing some other game. I unfortunately  have a strong suspicion also that at paper pre-releases some players get crafty and switch in cards not in their pool....just a strong suspicion and no evidence, but still, if it quacks like a duck... I am OK with that since my objective is to get the cards and go home. Magic real play for me is MTGO.

Overall the set feels Dragon's Maze clunky and not Return to Ravnica super playable. I get the 'enchatments matter' business, but to make enchantments work this set plays a lot like if you only played Avacyn Restored cards: like playing while wearing a duct tape and foam bear protection suit, really clunky. I can almost write the paragraph in Mark Rosewater's State of Design for the Theros block right now. Something about 'we gave you what you wanted with an enchantment block, we will have to try again.' This set has the Champions of Kamigawa 'thing' and it may even turn out to be Return to Kamigawa:

1. Themed on a specific culture/phase of human history (Japanese culture, Greek Mythology) This one is the huge plus that makes Kamigawa and Theros a great two-block standard for a Flavor Cube: Theros is dripping with awesome flavor. Greek Mythology and Japanese culture get lots of love. Theros is a ton of flavor fun.
2. The effects lend themselves to either 'all cards with that ability together' (Heroic is a lot like Infect, all or nothing-yes, I know, Infect was in Scars of Mirrodin and not in Kamigawa), or can lead to play that is slow as molasses (Number of cards in hand for Kamigawa, Bestow and devotion to a color for Theros)
3. Set-wide over-costing and lots of set-specific cards that will likely not work in Modern


Perversely, I need Theros to be the block I sample because I really love the RTR block.