Wednesday, August 21, 2019

A Brawl Remembrance: Kumena (Ixalan)

This deck has made me realize how good Song of Freyalise is. Unimpeded, the counters just keep coming.






Guardian Project is a card draw engine, and Deeproot Elite will give one of my Merfolk a counter when I cast a Merfolk.


Tapping Kumena is tricky, because you are trading not attacking for card advantage. It's a shame there isn't a card that creates many Merfolk token a-la Krenko in Goblins.


Tapping for counters seems like a better idea than tapping to draw a card.


Growing Rites of Itlimoc is just an awesome card.


The counters enabled in Merfolk are what make this deck viable.


I love Proliferate!


I love Proliferate!


Three tapped Merfolk early game is worth it for the extra card.


Any time I tutor for this deck, Deeproot Elite is my go-to critter.


Simic Ascendancy is cool, but I did not find that useful in Brawl. I think this card is much better in Commnder. The Brawl games are just not long enough to get this card to 20 counters.


All about the counters.


The Brawl manabase will need many dual land cycles. Otherwise, the monocolor and colorless decks will have a really strong advantage. Look at this pathetic mana screw!