Tuesday, June 12, 2012

First four weeks of Magic

My first four weeks buying Magic cards and playing Magic online have been a lot of fun. Here is a common card I received as an end card protecting other cards I bought on eBay.


I am a long-time stamp collector and now find myself enjoying Trading Card Games (TCGs) a lot!!!

In this blog I aim to share my adventures collecting Magic cards and playing Magic online. I am not able to play Magic with others in person because of my busy schedule, but I will jump at the first opportunity and sleeve up a nice deck with sideboard for a couple of matches. My favorite cards are the swamp or black ones. The black edge and the black card make for really beautiful cards. The same is true in Pokemon Black and White with the lightning cards that are all yellow with a yellow border.

I hope you enjoy reading this blog!!!

This card is named Tendrils of Corruption. It is a Swamp, or Black common instant from the Magic 2010, or the M10 Base Set.   Magic cards can have very creative names.



I will do my best to explain the Magic lingo. This card has a mana cast cost of three mana of any type and an additional Swamp land. Land cards are used in the Magic TCG to play other cards. It would require four Land cards in my mana pool to cast this instant (hey....that's a lot of new lingo if you know nothing about Magic!!!).


I will leave my explanation of game play for later, and given that I have only been playing the game for four weeks, I am sure you can find much better explanations elsewhere, yet I will explain everything in this blog.

Here is what I have done during my first four weeks of Magic:

1. Bought the 2011 Deckbuilder's Toolkit.
2. Bought re-pack booster boxes of Innistrad and Avacyn Restored. I still have a few of these packs to "open."
3. Bought 15 booster re-packs each of Innistrad and Dark Ascension.
4. Bought 100 tokens from various recent sets.
5. Bought some rares and mythic cards, most of the type that do not get a lot of tournament play.
6. Played lots of standard and Innistrad Block games on MTG Online, or MTGO.
7. Played two separate sealed events on MTGO, each with 2 Innistrad and 2 Dark Ascension packs.
8. Played one Avacyn Restored 6-pack sealed event on MTGO.
9. Bought four packs of Dark Ascension at Target.