Thursday, March 13, 2014

Avacyn Restored Cube: Cloudshift and Restoration Angel

I have begun work on a cube centered on AVR, which has turned out to be an amazing set. This was the set that had just come out when I started playing Magic. I plan to play as many of the cards in this set online to understand how to better build a cube around it. I am starting with Cloudshift because it is a cheap effect found on a much more expensive card in this same set: Restoration Angel. I am getting started by building a deck around this card in White/Green.




I will buff it up with uncommons, rares, and Mythic Rares. I currently have a near complete set of AVR on line that is a few cards away from redemption.

This deck will get Restoration Angel (of course!) and:

Angel's tomb (artifact)
Cathar's crusade (5-drop white rare enchantment)
Soul of the Harvest (6-drop green rare)

Here is a first try.





And here is an optimized version. Cathar's Crusade and Soul of the Harvest are definitely casual cards. The rule-of-thumb to go by for Modern is: if the casting cost is 5 or greater, the card has to be able to either win the game by itself, or help you win the game quickly after landing on the board. It seems to me that neither of these cards have even the slightest chance of doing that.