Saturday, February 20, 2016

A Plague of Eldrazis

A single game is not enough data, even a handful of games. This is why as a single player, even if I think that Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple need to be both restricted in Vintage, and banned in Legacy and Modern-just as it happened to Treasure Cruise and Dig Through Time; I don't have a pile of data as evidence for this recommendation... just the games I play.

Here is a loss with my Legacy White/Blue casual deck. Its casual, but I am still packing some solid cards.

Here I exile an Eldrazi Mimic with Sword to Plowshares.


I then exiled a Thought-Knot Seer with a second Swords to Plowshares.


But this deck is explosive. I am giving up a nonland card every time a Thought-Knot Seer enters the battlefield. That hurts! Even a random or self-selected discard is better, because it can be a land, or I can choose to discard my least important card. Thought-Knot Seer is discarding my most important card from my opponent's perspective.


Two 'Sol-Rings for Eldrazis' and my opponent can drop their other ELdrazis in one sweep.


Second game I wasn't so lucky with starting hand Swords to Plowshares.


I took them all out.


But by then all my opponent needed was to drop a finisher, and Thought-Knot Seer fills that role perfectly.