Thursday, March 20, 2014

The current Standard meta game bores me

I miss SOM/ISD and ISD/RTR. Here is where I stand with the various ways to play Standard as a casual player:

1. The Minotaur tribal is fun, but it is missing good one and two-drops.
2. I like Devotion a lot, and even more to experiment with in Modern.
3. Bestow sucks soooo bad. Most of those cards are stuck with the Bestow text for no reason. Not only is there no reason to play the cards the have 5+ mana costs for Bestow, spending that much mana on an aura for a small return is unthinkable in Modern.
4. U/B is one of my favorite color pairs, but is just too dominant. Nightveil Specter would be a cool Johnny card if it was optional, but it is not. If you play U/B you HAVE to play Nightveil Specter.
5. Born of the Gods does not have super fun build-around cards, although I will keep trying.
6. The two-color gods, and specially Karametra, seem unplayable for devotion.
7. Some of the Monstrosity cards are fun.
8. It sucks that Mutavault is in Standard. It is pushing most if not all competitive decks to use it. AVR had Cavern of Souls, but I don't remember Cavern being such an expensive card.

And this is why I have tuned out Standard until Journey into Nyx comes out and am instead playing casual Modern. Gatecrash had a similar effect. Back then Standard became such a fast format that I did not find it that much fun.