Saturday, March 15, 2014

AVR Casual Modern: Descendant's Path

First, I love the artwork on this card. Terese Nielsen is without doubt my favorite Magic artist. I made a very casual Wolf deck because it contains my super combo in mono-green. The deck is a lot of fun, but a lot has to be aligned for it to work. This one is casual all-the-way.

Descendant's Path will let you cast at no cost a creature that matches the tribe of a creature you already control. There are many ways for this deck to be disrupted, and only a few for it to win. I played against someone putting my lands on top of my library, and that proved very disruptive because I wasn't getting a wolf to be the first card drawn. On the plus side, I was able to soulbond a Wolfir early  in the game, but the earliest that could happen is on turn 4, and I can already do that with mana-accelerating elves.

While it is tempting to load the deck with a bunch of uncastable fatties, the deck needs to play on its own without Descendant's path.