Tuesday, July 17, 2012

A 2-Garruk Deck Online

I bought a second Garruk, two of Increasing Ambition, and a playset of Diregraf Ghoul. The latter card is the perfect one mana starter in a black green deck. I took out a few cards I have enjoyed playing with in my lower power deck variations, such as Deadly Allure and Sever the Bloodline.


I now understand why Witchbane Orb is purely a sideboard card: if your opponent uses curses, this card is key, but if not, it is completely useless and takes up valuable real estate in your deck that you can give to more generally playable cards.


I began playing this deck with game 203209452. Some of the games I have played are not in my "Games" section and I also played some games in the new online client. Of the games I have for replay up to 203293572, I have won 4 and lost 5, which is not bad for tournament practice.

In the 10 recorded games between 203337726 and 203410540 I won 1 and lost 9 (ouch). From these losses I have learned that I still do not know how to use the two Garruks correctly-somehow I get them exiled and don't yet know why; and Increasing Ambition is just too heavy of a card. Also, I could use more anti-cards like Tragic Slip. I could also use Unburial Rites to get cards out of my graveyard and directly into the battlefield.

Here is an ISD block constructed game I won against a weaker deck.




I gained some life via Blood Artist when two of my creatures died.



Unruly Mob got two counters.



My opponent's Fiend Hunter temporarily exiled of my Garruk tokens.



After some attrition I am up 24 to 5.



I use Appetite for Brains to exile Cathar's Crusade.



I made a couple of changes and started playing the deck in Standard beginning with game 203551534. I am losing every game and will likely lose most, but the variety of Standard makes for much harder play when I don't have any power cards from the Scars of Mirrodin cycle or M12.


...but then I couldn't figure out how to use Killing Wave, and made yet more changes to the deck and went back to playing ISD block constructed only beginning with recorded game 203600952 from a match I lost 0-2.


This configuration of this deck is very stable. I could use a 4 Garruk lineup but I am saving my money for when I add M13 cards and move it to Standard.

Between games 203293572 and 204032964 I won 10 of 52 games. That is a very low percentage yet I am playing in tournament practice, where I used to win 0 games before I had this deck. The big winners are red green decks with the more expensive cards like Bonfire of the Damned, and decks with Tamiyo and Temporal Mastery.

July 27 Update: Between recorded games 204263414 and 204727274 I have won 3 of 11. The tracked total is now 13 wins in 63 games, or 20.6 percent wins (1 of 5).