Sunday, October 7, 2012

Return to Ravnica Sealed Prep 9: Black

Maybe its because I find black cards to be the most visually appealing, or maybe its the raw numbers, but the black selection in these six packs is the best for the five colors. The logical way I have built the three guilds so far is to go from white to green picking up each guild as I go along. White and Blue then picks up Azorious. I add Green and then pickup Selesnya. I add Red and then pickup Izzet. I now add Black, then do Rakdos, and end with Golgari.

So far Selesnya seems to be doing better than Azorious in this selection and Izzet is an assured no-go.

Black creatures: I have one light, one heavy, one requiring a gate, two requiring sacrifice, and two requiring scavenge. If I had pulled several light ones the ones requiring sacrifice would work better. Seven black creatures going into Rakdos or Golgari but not both does not make for great pulls. I like black but this is a very limited selection. When they called sealed a limited format, they weren't kidding.














Let's see if I have better luck with the non-creature spells. I have three that can be used for Rakdos and Golgari, and two copies of Deviant Glee, a Rakdos spell. All are light costing and therefore immediately playable.