Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Commander Central

Because I find the Commander format so appealing, I am making up mini cubes for Commander deck building. I am in agreement with those who are disappointed by the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of Commander's Arsenal. Instead of buying this product, I will instead design a few Commander decks, each with its own Commander's Arsenal.

There is a lot of research I need to do, mostly in Gatherer. Here is the work to date.

1. I went through the legendary creatures in Modern one by one looking for what seem like good Commander format commanders. This is a very subjective selection. I mostly took cards that had a low enough casting cost and obviously powerful flavor text. Also, I took cards that didn't have the obvious flavor text that does not work for a commander, such as "sacrifice [this card] and something great happens for you in this game," or "During your upkeep [something great happens with this card]" because during commander play you will likely use your commander only a handful of times.

[follow this link to this post]




2. I have counts for the 92 tribes in ISD+RTR standard as of the issuance of RTR.

[follow this link to this post]

3. I have looked at all the rats in Modern. The rats are by  far the most fun tribe there is in Magic. When we read the flavor text of Marrow-Gnawer (Champions of Kamigawa Legendary Rat!), it is nothing short of complete comedic genius:

" Tap, Sacrifice a Rat: Put X 1/1 black Rat creature tokens onto the battlefield, where X is the number of Rats you control."

[follow this link to this post]