Sunday, August 12, 2012

Bant Esper Grixis Jund Naya: Names of Decks derived from Shards of Alara

I come across mention of so-and-so's Bant deck, or Naya deck and I have no way of knowing what they are referring to. Then today I am reading on one of the Wizards blogs and a casual mention is made that the name is a name of a shard in Shard of Alara. Now I know. Thanks to Wikipedia learning the rest was easy.

A shard is a three color combination going around the Magic wheel of five colors, with the first color being the main color:

--Bant is White Green Blue.
--Esper is Blue White Black   
--Grixis is Black Blue Red   
--Jund is Red Black Green   
--Naya is Green Red White

So  there....when I read Naya I will think of a Green Red White deck!

Here is a link to my post on the ten guilds of Ravnica 

Decks built around Nicol Bolas are Grixis decks if they stick to three colors.


Here are the obelisks and panorama lands from Shards of Alara.