Monday, March 16, 2015

[Standard] Two Birds with One Shot ahead of Dragons of Tarkir

I built a White Green shell in preparation for DTK and lost against the sacrifice creature shell I was planning to build also in preparation for DTK. Here is my deck:



The sacrifice creature deck is BUG, black/blue/green, or Sultai. The game ended up being a 21 turn marathon. Here is turn 16. By this turn my opponent has killed off my two big critters (Mistcutter Hydras both) to draw extra cards out of Abzan Beastmaster.


By turn 18 I landed an Ajani's Pridemate that I was boosting pretty good. Here is a Gods Willing neutralizing a Sultai Charm and then a second Gods Willing neutralizing a Grim Contest to force the Ajani's Pridemate to fight Keepsake Gorgon with Deathtouch.


Turn 21 my opponent unleashes his sacrifice creature combo for-the-win (FTW): sacrifices a Keepsake Gorgon and three Sultai Flayers ('Whenever a creature you control with toughness 4 or greater dies, you gain 4 life') to trigger massive lifegain and the double 'Whenever a creature you control with toughness 4 or greater dies, each opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life' triggers on Kheru Bloodsucker.


The total damage of these sacrifices is 16, and that takes me down to 4. The final sacrifice is of Archer's Parapet and that is the final damage needed for my opponent to win the game.