Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Vintage Solitaire Eldrazi Part 3 of 5

Go back to Part 2

Now, let's try Null Rod. I took out the blue deck manipulation spells.


Drawing any shutdown artifacts in my opening hand is not good, but I will keep the hand because I drew great otherwise.


I have enough mana for an early Precursor Golem.


And then I can bring out Null Rod.


Here is a not-so-good hand. I have Library of Alexandria and that's it. Also, Phyrexian Metamorph does nothing for me early game. Time to mulligan.


This hand is not that much better.


A Moxen is a Moxen, and I put this one on top of my library.


This is a weak board position in which to cast two Sphere of Resistance. These could end up hurting me more than they hurt my opponent in a real game.


Yeah, it's time to make a change. I need more muscle.


Let's add Endbringer.




Here is a solid first hand.


I cast an early Precursor Golem.


I have Eldrazi Mimic in this deck just to see how it plays with these other cards, but once Thought-Knot Seer is added to this deck, Eldrazi Mimic is going out. It's a nice trick to boost it when you cast, for instance, a Reality Smasher, but Eldrazi Mimic does not belong in this deck and it belongs in the all-in Eldrazi Legacy deck.


Here, I decide not to add any more Eldrazi to the board since I am somewhat mana-screwed.


I decide to bring in Eye of Ugin, thinking it would help me cast my Eldrazi.


Here is a turn one hand.


A turn later I am able to cast a Precursor Golem, which is the workhorse of the deck.


Here is a solid battlefield position with this deck.


Casting Eye of Ugin here does nothing for me since I have already shutdown my own artifacts.


I draw a hand that I need to mulligan..


And then I draw an Eye of Ugin, and I get that feeling I get when I realize a card does not belong in a deck.


Yeah, I proved to myself why Eye of Ugin does not belong in this deck: it's for all-in Eldrazi and no other deck, and the tutoring cost is absurd unless you have a deck, like all-in Eldrazi, which is built to generate ridiculous mana in the late game.


Go to Part 4