Sunday, October 23, 2016

[Vintage] Bant Aetherflux Reservoir Build-around

I remembered a combo from one of the core sets that was based on gaining a lot of life, and I added a few cards from Soul Sisters.



Here is a turn 6 50+ life setup. In a real game, the 12/12 Voracious Wurm would have been quite a challenge for an opponent.


Here is a turn 9 50+ life setup. Solitaire is an artificial testing environment when it comes to Lifelink since you are really attacking yourself. Here I have two Wurmcoil Engines that in a real game would have gained me a ton of life.


Here is a turn 8 50+ life setup. I have two Wurmcoil Engines, a 7/7 Voracious Wurm and a 10/10 Voracious Wurm.


I restarted MTGO and forget to set it for Solitaire. I ended up playing against a human! This player had a 200+ card deck with a really great selection of the best Magic cards ever. I won the first game. My opponent cast an Eternal Dragon, but by that point I had already gotten to 40 or so life.



I lost the second game to beaters.


Here they are: Ruhan of the Formori (a Commander-only card) [a 4 drop 7/7] and Spellbreaker Behemoth (Shards of Alara and Commander) [a 4 drop 5/5: Spellbreaker Behemoth can't be countered. Creature spells you control with power 5 or greater can't be countered.]


My opponent timed out of the third game and I won the match on that technicality. I had no way of winning the third game, though. My opponent countered me with Force of Will and played Necropotence. They also had one more Wurmcoil Engine on the board than I did. Here we are with a Wurmcoil Engine each.


We trated Wurmcoil Engines and my opponent gained some life. They used that life to draw cards off Necropotence {banned in Legacy and restricted in Vintage [Skip your draw step. Whenever you discard a card, exile that card from your graveyard. Pay 1 life: Exile the top card of your library face down. Put that card into your hand at the beginning of your next end step.]


We traded Wurmcoil Engine tokens and then my opponent cast a second Wurmcoil Engine and a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. gg, really.


They didn't need to cast a Spellbreaker Behemoth by now.


Here is Necropotence being cast.


Here is one of the triggers when my opponent draws a card and pays one life.


Here are the triggers next turn when they get the drawn cards into their hand. So broken!